top of page

Monoprinting: third time's a charm


Since I had two weeks before my trial presentation, I decided that was enough time for one more day of monoprinting in the studio, so off I went. This time, however, I decided to only dampen the paper just before printing with a light mist - and only on the thicker Kozo paper. I also decided to return to my Cranfield, water-washup inks as they are a bit more fluid - and I have some leftover ink from a previous session that I wanted to use up.


I also decided to print on full sheets of paper, rather than pre-cut strips. This allows me to divide, cut or fold the final pages however I wish, as well as use up the entire surface area of the inked perspex plate. Here are a few snapshots - I wasn't going for the full-on rainbow, but it's what I incidentally ended up with anyway! I didn't worry too much about this, though, as I knew the colours would be separated when the papers were ready to be cut and folded.






Playing around with composition:


Creatures emerging in the process:




And finally laying down the stencils for the first print:


I lightly dampened the first sheet for monoprinting - a thicker Kozo paper that would benefit from being softened with a light mist, but I only used a very light mist this time with successful results - phew! The other papers - which are much thinner - were printed completely dry.


Here's the back of the first print, before pulling the paper:


And the remaining perspex plate with the stencils and ink:



I, unfortunately, forgot to photograph the inked stencils on the press bed. Honestly, I was so focussed on getting the stencils to just lie in place - they were SO sticky with ink! And they are so tiny and fiddly, it was a tiring process. You can find a similar step in the previous post on monoprinting. Here are a few more photos of my third monoprinting day, which, thank goodness, has been the most successful one so far!


This one is just the stencils printed on Usu Kuchi paper:


And this is a print of the remaining ink from the perspex, printed on Gampi. I was a bit disappointed with how much ink transferred, but not discouraged. I might consider printing stencils over the top of the heavy ink once this has a chance to dry.





9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page